Blogger Backgrounds

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Happy Birthday to my AWESOME son!


Today is my son's birthday and it is a FANTASTIC birthday for him!

My son took part in the Idaho Math Cup hosted by Apangea Learning these past few weeks. For 4 weeks, the kids who signed up were to do as much math as they could or a specified period of time.
The class that passed the most "threads" of math wins the cup, but there were also individual prizes. The winning class received dinner and movie gift cards and the Math Cup and individual regional winners had the choice between a Wii, an iPod Touch, or a $200 Walmart Gift Card.

My son's class started this competition over a week later than everyone else. When my son first started, he was discouraged to see that there were already people that had done a lot of math. He said that he was sure they did not have a chance at winning. I'm sure there were other kids that felt the same way.

The kids worked hard as individuals, but my son's class worked hard as a team. They racked up points and the competition was fierce, but more importantly, throughout the competition his class sent emails back and forth supporting and encouraging everyone else in the class. I have *never* seen such support in a classroom before - and this is a "virtual" class. NONE of these kids have met each other. Okay, I shouldn't say none, because I'm sure some of them have met. But these kids in his class are scattered all over the state.

By the third week of the Math Cup, my son's class had risen the ranks to the top ten classes! And shortly afterward, they were in a neck and neck race for first place.

Math Cup finally ended Oct. 24th at midnight. I tell you what, these kids were DEDICATED! A few of them stayed up until midnight to do as much as they could. Including my son. They sent emails back and forth encouraging each other and cheering...all through the late hours of the night.

Monday came and everyone was nervous to see the results. Breakfast came and went, and there were no results yet. Lunch came and went and no one knew who won. And then dinner. The kids were getting antsy... I know *I* was! LOL

Then by chance, I happened to see on Facebook, they posted the results.....

Team ALP of Idaho Virtual Academy (my son's class) WON THE 2010 MATH CUP!!
His class won the cup, won dinner and movie gift cards, and t-shirts too.

What was even better?? My son was MVP (Most Valuable Player - or Person) and he could choose from a Wii, iPod Touch, or $200 Walmart Gift Card!!

What a great birthday for him! But we are VERY VERY proud of him and all of his hard work and dedication to the competition and to his classmates!

Next blog will probably be about how "mom" got hurt playing on the Wii! LOL

No comments: