Blogger Backgrounds

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Aurora Light Show


Yesterday I was thrilled when there was another chance to catch a glimpse of the elusive Aurora Borealis. The skies were clear, and they were predicting high activity. That meant that I *might* see it on the horizon.
I kept looking outside, staring hard into the sky, but saw nothing but stars.

"That's okay." I kept telling myself. "They say there is better watching closer to midnight." It was only 10pm.

Rather than staring out the window like I had before, I threw my pillows at the other end of the bed and propped them up so I could at least lie down while watching the sky. I was determined to see them.

I lay there for a while watching the sky and my eyelids started to drop. I knew then that I was probably not going to see the Auroras. I was becoming sleepy and I couldn't stay awak.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

At the moment I wasn't sure why I came out of my sleep, but I did. My eyes remained closed and wished that I could just go back to sleep. The dog was lying on the bed next to me with her "babies" (that's another story!) and it was rather warm in the bedroom, even with the fans running. I kicked the blanket off my and sighed, my eyes still closed.

A few moments later, as I drifted back into unconsciousness, I saw a flash of light and my eyes flew open.
What was that?? I thought, and then jolted up. The Auroras! Of coarse!! Not ever seeing the Auroras before, I had no idea what to expect. Did they give off a flash of light or was it more of a glow? Either way, I was excited and I stood there, staring hard out the window again.

Suddenly, there was a rumble far in the distance. Huh? I didn't see any clouds to the north, it had to be the Auroras...the rumble was just a train or something getting started up again. I was determined to see the northern lights. Anything I see, would be the lights.

There was another flash of light, somewhere from the east, beyond the mountain. Strange. I thought, the northern lights should be north, not east. Then I saw it, a huge bolt of lightning stretching across the sky and the field behind the house, with white hot fingers that spread out towards the tops of the tallest trees.

One Mississippi...
Two Mississippi...

The rumble came. It was not a clash or boom, but a loud rolling thunder that vibrated the air. Then the rain came.

There would be no Aurora that night... but at least we got a pretty good light show!

No comments: