Blogger Backgrounds

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

2011 has proven to be a very trying year for many.

For us, we had to move and then my son broke his leg. But that pales in comparison to what else is happening. In July, my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer. From what I have heard, she is staying confidant, strong, and determined to fight it. She is a very strong woman. However, I'm sure the rest of us still have our worries.

Then there is The Bastrop County Complex Fire. The what? Okay, I know there is a whole big world out there and Bastrop is just a teeny tiny piece of it, most have never heard of it before the fire. It's where my grandmother lives, and two of my aunts and their families. Sunday a massive fire broke out that caused evacuations, including my family. High winds from Tropical Storm Lee and one of the worst droughts in who knows how long, made conditions perfect for a blaze. Monday, the fires worsened and burned something like 30,000 acres - it's still burning now. 600 homes have burned and I fear that some of them were my grandmother's and aunt's homes. Family is safely evacuated, but the thought of them loosing everything they have is heartbreaking.

I'm far from it all the way up in Idaho, but I grew up in there, it is where many memories come from and so it is still "close to home" thus making it far more emotional. I can't help but think the worst. It brings tears to my eyes thinking that my grandmother has lost everything - the place I would look forward to visiting is gone - my grandmother homeless. But I think the thing that makes the tears spill is that my grandmother has had so much to deal with this year with the cancer and the loss of one of her closest friends (also to cancer), the last thing she needs is to loose her home. She's trying to stay positive - as I probably should too - but when (if) she finds out her home is gone, I think it will finally sink in. And the tears spill over because I can't be there to give her a hug and simply hold her close. At least she is alive and safe.

I suppose we just have to wait to see...